There are a plenty of athletes in the gym that are very high performers, very strict Paleo eaters, and very admirable drunks. While I only meet two of those three criteria, Iâ€™ve still seen a lot of performance increases over my last eight years of CrossFit and living in Arlington, the day drinking capital of the world.
My advice to my nutritional consulting clients and my Paleo Challengers is simple and ripped off from Robb Wolf: â€œDrink as little as possible to maximize performance, and as much as necessary to maximize your sex life.â€
â€œBUT HOW MUCH CAN I REALLY DRINK BRIAN?!?!?!?â€ is the question I often get. Well letâ€™s look at why you should minimize first:
- Alcohol blunts protein synthesis. Alcohol in your bloodstream will decrease the amount of amino acids your body can use to form complete proteins which grow and repair muscle tissue.
- Alcohol decreases your energy levels by dehydrating you. Because alcohol is a diuretic, it will expel water from your body thatâ€™s necessary in the creating of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), a key chemical compound in Krebâ€™s/Citric Acid Cycle, which is how the body uses food for energy.
There are plenty of other reasons to skip or reduce alcohol consumption (and thereâ€™s a longer rundown from Bill Imbo here), but hopefully thatâ€™s scared you a little bit.
Now donâ€™t get me wrong, Iâ€™m with Malcolm Gladwell and Omar Khayyam on the wonderful relationship between man and booze, but we need to look at the why and how to make half way decent non-Fireball based decisions. Next week weâ€™ll discuss the question of â€œhow muchâ€ and â€œhow toâ€. Until then either cloister thyself or enjoy drinking prior to eating the fruit of knowledge.
- Alaska Wild Wind Fisheries will be at Potomac CrossFit on Thursday, Sept 25th, from 5pm-7pm, selling their delicious wild caught Alaska Salmon. You can pre-order here or just come in and purchase ala carte.
- Improve your Olympic Weightlifting at the Patriot CrossFit Weightlifting Club by clicking here. PCF Oly meets every Sunday from 6pm-8pm.
- Amanda Latimer with Tom James Custom Clothing Company will be at Patriot CrossFit Saturday, Sept 27th, 9am-11am. Amanda sells custom shirts, pants, suits, jeans, sweaters, and everything you can think of in terms of Menâ€™s & Womenâ€™s clothing. Come check out a way to get the perfect fit, a huge selection, and great pricing on all your attire!
- CF and Yoga â€“ the perfect combo!
What: WODs and Warriors
When: Friday, September 26, 6:15pm-7:30pm
Where: Potomac CrossFit, 1320 N. Courthouse Rd., Arlington VA
Bring: sneakers, yoga mat, towel, friends
6:15pm â€“ introductory WOD
6:45pm â€“ all-levels yoga class
Beginners welcome!! Already an expert? Donâ€™t worry, weâ€™ll make it challenging for you, too. RSVP here!
- Want to thank our good friends at Lulu Lemon Clarendon for sponsoring our Paleo Challenge! The male and female winner will each receive a free piece of apparel.
Warmup: EMOTM 8 Min
3 Snatch Balance
Alt: 3 Strict TTB/3 Diamond Pushup
|RX’d||Level II||Level I|
Post loads and time to comments.